5 Ways Internet Marketers Can Get to Know Their Audience
January 8, 2013
•IADT San Antonio, IADT General, Internet Marketing
• 0 Comments
In a field such as Internet marketing, knowing your target audience is essential to your success. It’s not always possible to physically meet your audience, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t other ways of familiarizing yourself with your clientele.
- Comb through the background material: Ask your client for previous creative briefs, market research reports, memos, presentations, and anything else they have that could benefit you in understanding them. Go through these materials thoroughly, as they can give great clues to your audience’s preferences.
- Read what your clients read: Almost all your clients will have external sources where they catch up on their daily industry news, post relevant information and publish material. Find out what websites, newsletters and other publications your audience puts out and start reading them.
- Be active in blogs and forums: A great way to get to know your audience is through virtual interactions. Find industry-related blogs and forums and pay attention to what the people say. These are your clients speaking about what they want in their industry; you can’t afford to miss it.
- Talk with sales reps: There is no one who knows the client better than sales reps. It’s their job to communicate with them through every step of the selling process, and they must be able to understand their audience in order to effectively sell to them. They will know industry trends, audience preferences, and changes in the market. Utilize them.
- Attend trade shows: Trade shows are a conglomeration of people who have the same interests, and since there is a trade show for just about every market, you have the opportunity to learn a great deal about your audience. Hang around the exhibits; listen to the questions and issues raised. You will most likely learn something.