Turn Your Bathroom into a Spa for Under $500
January 5, 2011
•IADT Orlando, Interior Design
• 0 Comments
Create a Luxurious Spa Getaway in Your Home
At the end of a long day or a particularly stressful week, there's nothing we'd like more than to pamper ourselves with a relaxing trip to the spa. However, for those of us who have realistic lives with real budgets, this expensive luxury is not a reality on a regular basis. Thankfully, there are affordable ways to get a spa-like experience in your very own home. The following tricks and tips will help you turn your bathroom into a luxurious spa for under $500.
Clear the Clutter
The first step to creating a spa-like atmosphere in your bathroom is to get rid of the clutter. All the lotion, face wash, makeup, blow dryers, curling irons and other bathroom products need to be organized and put away. Clear surfaces are essential to achieving the calming and relaxing atmosphere of a spa.
Get the Supplies
You will need to pick up a few varieties of soothing bath salts and scented bath bubbles that will allow you to relax in a calming, wonderfully scented bath. You will also want to have your favorite soothing tunes playing, or perhaps a new magazine or book if you prefer to unwind with some reading material.
Consider purchasing a bath tub reading rack that will allow you to store a book or magazine, a beverage and other essentials close by without having to worry about them getting wet. Refreshing mineral water or a glass of wine are great beverage choices.
After your bath it is essential to have:
- a soft rug to step onto
- a fluffy towel to dry off with
- a plush spa robe and pair of slippers to put on
Your body will thank you for the extra special treatment, and you can find reasonable prices on all these products. Spas often provide warm towels for extra comfort; you can achieve this by buying a towel warmer that can be mounted on your wall or simply by putting your towel in the dryer while you're in the bath.
Set the Mood
Colors can really help to create or enhance a mood. Choose a soothing color like a gentle blue, pastel green or pale lilac for your walls. Once you've chosen a wall color you can start accenting your newly cleared-off counters with a few color-coordinated decorations. Scented candles are a must for any spa environment; aromatherapy scents are popular for their calming and therapeutic scent, and the soft glow created by them is very relaxing. Pretty containers of bath beads or colored stones are also a nice touch.
Lay Back, Relax and Enjoy
You can customize your spa experience to meet your needs, but keep in mind a few tips that will make it as relaxing and soothing as possible:
- Give yourself a pre-bath facial you can make right at home. Combine 3 tablespoons of honey, 1/3 cup of oats and 2 teaspoons of Peppermint tea. Spread the mixture on your face, lay back and enjoy.
- Dim the lights or turn them off completely and light a few of your aromatherapy candles. The warm glow and soothing scents will help create a calming atmosphere.
- Create a bubbling whirlpool in your bathtub. Conair's Dual-Jet Spa Bath fits over the side of the tub and whips the water into a soothing whirlpool. If you prefer the feeling of air jets, the HoMedics Massaging Bubble Mat fills the water with thousands of bubbles. Don't forget to fill your bath with warm water, bath salts, and bath bubbles for a soothing experience that will satisfy all your senses.
The key to creating the perfect spa experience in your own home is giving yourself time to enjoy it. Set aside a 30-minute period and let everyone in the house know not to bother you. Bask in the calming atmosphere you've created, and simply allow yourself to enjoy this pampering, in-home spa experience. Lay back, relax and enjoy knowing that unwinding at the end of a stressful week is now as easy as stepping into your bathroom.
This article is presented by the Academy – Orlando. Contact us today if you're interested in developing marketable knowledge and career-relevant skills with an industry-current degree program from the Academy – Orlando.
IADT - Orlando does not guarantee employment or salary. All trademarks are property of their respective owners.