November 8, 2011
•IADT Seattle, IADT General, Digital Media Production
• 0 Comments
At the very of heart of the digital media production industry are the principles of creativity and communication. Yes, in today’s advancing technological world, it may seem like creating stunning computer-generated designs is an easy task. However, simply having access to all the available digital media design resources is not always enough.
In order to succeed in the field of digital media production, a quality designer should have a firm grasp of a few basic design fundamentals. Otherwise their work, while it may be visually stunning, will wind up losing its overall message.
Basic Design Fundamentals
- Purpose: Every design has some intended purpose. Sometimes it is something grand, like attempting to create inspiration. Other times it is simpler in nature, with the only purpose being to grab someone’s attention. Whatever it may be, understanding the purpose behind a design will help give it direction and strength.
- Message: The message is different than the purpose. The purpose of a design could be to cause laughter or inspiration. The message is more specific than this. It includes the specifics of what you are attempting to convey to your audience.
- Unity: In terms of digital media production, unity is everything. All the design elements should seem like they belong together. Nothing should appear haphazard or accidental. By creating unity between images, sounds and graphics, the message appears stronger and more concrete.
- Contrast: Of course, you need some part of your digital media design to stand out. If there is too much unity, then there is nothing that will direct the audience’s attention.
- Hierarchy: In digital media production, a design should have a clear way of expressing the most important elements of the design, as well as the least important elements. By establishing a starting and ending point, the audience will be led on a clear path through the design.
Of course, these are just a few design basics. If you are interested in learning more about digital media production, check out the available digital media production programs near you.
This article is presented by IADT-Seattle. Contact us today if you’re interested in developing marketable knowledge and career-relevant skills with an industry-current degree program from IADT-Seattle.