7 Terms that Every Internet Marketer Should Know
April 23, 2012
•IADT Detroit, Internet Marketing
• 0 Comments
As an Internet marketer, you must understand various terminologies that will facilitate effective communication of ideas and strategies relating to your daily Internet marketing activities. Below are some of the essential terms that you should know with a brief description of what they mean.
- Keywords: These are words or catch phrases that are used in the identification of a website’s content. For search engines to index your site, they target keywords related to website content. As such, you should incorporate the keywords into the design of your site (i.e. the HTML as well as the content) in order to boost your search engine ranking.
- Backlink: This refers to a hypertext link that points from a third-party website to your site. Backlinks are very important in search engine optimization (SEO) since search engine rankings increase proportionately depending on the number and quality of backlinks pointing to your website.
- Meta Tag: This refers to descriptor tags that visitors and search engines can use in identifying websites.
- Organic Search Results: Search engine results come in two types, and this depends on the method that was used to generate the results. First are the results that are generated through PPC (pay per click), whereby one has to pay the search engine providers to rank their website high in the SERP (search engine results page). On the other hand, there are results that are generated through SEO, whereby website optimization is used to get the search engine to rank the site high in the SERP. Organic results refer to the second, unpaid type of results generated through SEO.
- Search Engine Results Page (SERP): This refers to the page of a search engine that displays the results from a user's keyword query. SERP is very important to an Internet marketer because his/her main goal is to top the results on this page to increase the likelihood that users will click on the page and convert into customers.
- Search Engine Marketing (SEM): This refers to the practice of marketing your site online through various means in order to increase the search engine ranking. SEM can be categorized into two parts: paid and free. Paid SEM refers to pay per click advertising, or PPC. Free SEM on the other hand, refers to search engine optimization, or SEO.
- Duplicate Content: This refers to content that has been plagiarized from any other source, whether online or offline. Duplicate content should be avoided at all costs since it does great damage to your online reputation and SERP rankings.
Want to learn more about Internet marketing methods and terms? Consider enrolling in an Internet marketing degree program.
This article is presented by IADT-Detroit. Contact us today if you’re interested in developing marketable knowledge and career-relevant skills with an industry-current degree program from IADT-Detroit.