History of IADT
Over the years, the International Academy of Design and Technology has evolved from one small, private college in Chicago to a network of technologically advanced campuses across the United States and a virtual campus accessible from anywhere in the world.
Throughout this metamorphosis, one thing has remained constant: our commitment to teaching passionate individuals how to tap into their talents and imagination to create exciting professional opportunities across a broad range of industries and disciplines. The timeline below traces our advancement over more than 30 years in education.
- 1977: The International Academy of Merchandising and Design, Ltd., is founded at the Merchandise Mart in Chicago by Clem Stein, Jr., as a private educational college.
- 1984: The Tampa, Fla., campus opens, offering associate of applied science degree programs in fashion merchandising, interior design and fashion design.
- 1990: The Accrediting Commission of the Association of Independent Colleges and Schools awards the colleges accreditation as a senior college.
- 1999: The college changes its name to the International Academy of Design in keeping with its continuing emphasis on design programs.
- 2000: The words "& Technology" are added to the name for each campus to reflect the addition of technology-related programs.
- 2001: The International Academy of Design establishes a branch campus in Orlando, Fla.
- 2003: Expanding the brand into the Motor City, IADT Detroit opens just north of the city in Troy, Mich.
- 2003: IADT Las Vegas is established in Henderson, Nev.
- 2004: The Nashville, Tenn., campus opens its doors.
- 2004: Stretching the brand into the Northwest Pacific region of the United States, IADT Seattle opens.
- 2005: The campus in San Antonio, Texas, is established.
- 2007: IADT's next campus opens in Sacramento, Calif.
- 2007: The college is granted approval from the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS) to offer programs through an online delivery format. Students interested in pursuing a career-focused, industry-current degree entirely online can now do so via IADT's Virtual Campus.
- 2007: Most IADT campuses enter into a consortium agreement with IADT Online, allowing students the option to take some of their courses online.
- 2009: IADT's online branch campus is granted approval from ACICS to operate as a separate entity, and the International Academy of Design & Technology Online is established.
- 2010: All IADT campuses are now part of the consortium agreement with IADT Online, allowing all IADT students the opportunity to combine on-campus courses with courses delivered by IADT Online's virtual campus.
Get More Information Right Now!
If you have questions about IADT or the associate and bachelor's degrees offered at our schools, getting the answers you need is as simple as filling out the Request Information form at the bottom of this page. Just tell us a little bit about yourself and one of our admissions representatives will contact you to help provide the information you need.
Apply Online At Any Time!
If you've already identified the campus where you'd like to enroll and the degree you're ready to pursue, we're ready when you are. In fact, you can apply online now!
International Academy of Design & Technology is accredited by the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools to award associate's degrees and bachelor's degrees. For more information on IADT's accreditation, visit the ACICS website at: http://acics.org.